The new Beta Prepreg composite tooling prepreg has been selected as the JEC 2011 Innovation Award finalist. It is based on the 21st century Henkel Benzoxazine resin and toughening technology. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 months with no loss of tack and delivers superior laminate properties compared to conventional epoxy and BMI systems. High glass transition temperature (Tg. 485 °F or 251 °C) and service stability at high temperature ensures long tool life.
• Exceptionally long out-life allows virtually limit free tool fabrication time. Customers benefit from increased work crew flexibility and can work around scheduling conflicts. Larger structures are possible with smaller work crews.
• Excellent post machining quality of Beta Prepreg laminates allows machining of complex geometry details and maintenance of very tight dimensional tolerances. The ability to modify tool surfaces following engineering change reduces cost of new tool manufacture.
• The outstanding toughness, high glass transition temperature and stability at high temperature ensure long tool life, reducing the cost of remanufacture and rework through product life.
• Exceptionally low shrinkage improves tool surface quality and reduced need for part finishing. Low shrinkage also reduces residually laminate stresses.
• Very low moisture absorption in comparison to epoxy systems makes Beta Prepreg a perfect tooling choice for moisture sensitive component resin systems.